"Volleyball" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Sports & Outdoors Tip by grandmaR

Volleyball at squadron picnic
by grandmaR

Volleyball at squadron picnic
    by grandmaR
  • Volleyball - United States of America

In the beginning, volleyball was just something girls had to do in P.E., and people did it at beach picnic. NOW it is not only an Olympic Sport but TWO Olympic sports.

I hated volleyball when I was a girl. The balls went so fast and they seemed aimed right at my head and I could never hit them in the right direction. But it is a sport that people seem to feel that they also could play. You don't have to be particularly tall (although sometimes it helps). And it doesn't need a lot of space or equipment. It can be played both indoors in the gym and outdoors.

Although, it does seem a little perverted to me to put sand in places that has no beach, just so that a beach volleyball tournament can be played.

William G. Morgan (1870-1942) has gone down in history as the inventor of the game of volleyball in 1895 when he was at the YMCA. In 1896 the first league was organized. Until the early thirties volleyball was for the most part a game of leisure and recreation. In 1952 when I was in HS, the first Women's World Championship was held in Moscow and won by the USSR. And Volleyball was included for the first time in the XVII Olympiad in Tokyo, 1964. Beach Volleyball was admitted as a gold medal discipline to the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

Equipment: Morgan said: "In search of an appropriate game, tennis occurred to me, but this required rackets, balls, a net and other equipment, so it was eliminated - but the idea of a net seemed a good one. We raised it to a height of about 6 feet 6 inches (lm.98) from the ground, just above the head of an average man. We needed a ball, and among those we tried was a basketball bladder, but this was too light and too slow, we therefore tried the basketball itself, which was too big and too heavy".

He had a ball made by Spaulding.

For a pick-up or family picnic game, that's all you need. The ball and a net.

Theme: Beach Activities
Website: http://www.usavolleyball.org/

• Updated Oct 27, 2008

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to United States of America?