VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Song Kee Fishball Noodles: "Best Fishball Noodle Ever" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Restaurant Tip by bpacker

Singapore Restaurants: 946 reviews and 1,240 photos

FishBalls in Toa Payoh
by bpacker

Now, before I tell you where the best fishball in Singapore can be found, let me tell you an old story that cracks me up each time I tell it. Now, I'm fond of bringing foreign contacts around town to sample the local delights and this time, a Mid-Westerner was in town. When I told him about fishballs, his eyes widened in disbelief and he drawled loudly, " Gee-ee! Damm fish must be big !"
No one dared laughed and a polite Asian silence ensued as I explained that fish balls were tasty things made from flour, fresh fish and salt and that they weren't part of the reproductive organs of a fish.
God help me. That was one situation I hope never to be in again.
In any case, the definitive fishball is one that is chewy, sea-tasting-fresh and a little salty. The one that is served in the heartlands of Toa Payoh has all of those luscious qualities I mentioed. Equally delicious are the succulent pork balls that together with the fishy ones. Fat and meaty with chives. Yum.
Healthy eating was definitely not on my mind as I finished the whole bowl of noodles, fish balls, meat balls topped with cubes of pork fat . Sigh, a small bowl goes for S$2.50 and the big S$3.
Go early to avoid long queues and disappointment.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the Mee-pok tah (Flat, yellow egg noodles with lotsa and lotsa of chilli, porky-lard cubes.

More delicious reviews on Bpacker's Food pages

Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

• Updated Jun 29, 2005

Comments

bpacker Used To Live Here!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Have you been to Singapore?