Any Neighborhood in Seoul: "Traditional Korean Eating on the Floor" Top 5 Page for this destination Korean Customs Tip by AKtravelers
Korean Customs, Seoul: 29 reviews and 47 photos
Seoul is teeming with good, small traditional Korean restaurants. You definitely should try one while you're in Seoul. Of course, you will have to take your shoes off and leave them at the door, so if you plan on doing this I wouldn't wear your most expensive shoes (they rarely get stolen, but it has happened to a friend of mine). You will also have to sit on the floor. Some resurants (like the one pictured) have gone soft and supply some pillows with back support, but many don't. Since I'm one of the softies that gets back pain if I sit too long on the floor, I will usually look to take a seat along the wall. This is okay if you're dining informally, but if you're going out with Koreans don't count on being able to do that. Koreans will usually insist on assigning you a seat -- there is no unassigned seating in Korea!
The menu will consist of the standard and delicious bulgogi, kalbi, pork and chicken, and your table will be covered with small bowlswhen you're finished. Enjoy!
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
More Restaurants in Seoul (6)
More Reviews (58)
- See All Visit the New Pagoda Garden
- See All The Disappearing Kimchi Jars
- See All Learn the Hangul Alphabet
- See All The Graves of Baekje Kings, Right in...
- See All Myeongong: The Great Shopping Area
- See All A TopEnd Business Hotel That is too...
- See All Soju: The National Drink
- Traffic is Hell -- Take the Subway!
- It's Easy and Cheap to See a Korea...
- Pack for Washington DC-like Weather
- See All Beware of Street Food
Been to Seoul?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels