"Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore" Top 5 Page for this destination Basilica S. Maria Maggiore Tip by irisbe
Basilica S. Maria Maggiore, Bergamo: 34 reviews and 94 photos
Outside sculptures of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore
It is worth to walk around the building and have a look as well at the backside of the basilica. (Thank you Titti for this wonderful tip!)
The Southern portal is designed by Campione and dates from 1360.
Two white lions and two telamons support the vault.
Above you can see depictured Jesus and his 12 disciples.
On the photo (pls click on it to enjoy the full view):
1. Left top: one of the lions of the Northern portal
2. middle one of the telamons supporting the vault.
3. left bottom: one of the white lions supporting the vault
4-5: right top and bottom: a detail of the sculpture of Jesus and his 12 apostels.
Directions: in Cittą Alta (in the upper part)
More Reviews (31)
- See All Divine signs in Santa Grata inter Vites?
- See All Walk along the Venetian city walls
- See All Small streets
- See All In search for a little present
irisbe's Related Pages
Have you been to Bergamo?Share Your Travels