The Tobacco Company: "Victorian Elegance in Historic Shockoe Slip" Top 5 Page for this destination The Tobacco Company Tip by b1bob

The Tobacco Company, Richmond: 6 reviews and 11 photos

Tobacco Company
by b1bob

The Tobacco Company is one of Richmond's finer restaurants. Entrees at supper can run as high as $30. This restaurant is aptly named because it occupies what once was an old four-storey tobacco warehouse. That night, my friend Lee and I were here for dessert. I was not impressed at the rudeness of the doorman who gruffly asked to see Lee's identification. I was afraid that, although Lee wasn't planning to take any alcohol, they wouldn't let him in (as he was 3 months shy of 21 at that time). He let us both in, but the attitude left us with a bad taste right out of the chute. We were seated in the Victorian lounge with a fireplace and antique furniture. You never know whom you might encounter in places like this. That night, we saw state senator Henry Marsh pass by our table. There was live entertainment in the Jimmy O Band which sung old favourites such as Ring of Fire and the singer tried to emulate Louis Armstrong in his signature song What a Wonderful World. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, given the name, that folks could smoke cigars and cigarettes more freely here (There were even cigarette girls which I thought went the way of the dirigible.) Our waitress was as nice and attentive as she could be. Normally, I rate restaurants predominantly on the quality of the food and the service, but Tobacco Company gets a low rating from me because of that doorman's unnecessarily rude treatment of my friend Lee gipper84. That doorman is lucky I didn't bust his head.

Favorite Dish: One way to get the full atmosphere of a fine dining establishment is to come after the supper rush and just order dessert or drinks. I had been here before to do the latter several times before. This is the first time I went for dessert before Lee left on holiday. All desserts were $5.95 (but the price listed below is what one might expect to pay for an entree). I had the tiramisu (for those in Roxboro, that's not some foreign car, but the Italian word for pick-me-up). That's an apt name because it consists of lady fingers soaked in rum, Kahlua and Marsala, layered with mascarpone cheese and cream (garnished with a vanilla wafer).

Address: 1201 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Shockoe Bottom. You'll know when you hit the cobblestones.
Phone: (804) 782-9555
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 2
Theme: Local

• Updated Jun 19, 2006

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Richmond?