Gramercy Tavern: "Gramercy Park's New American Buzz" Gramercy Tavern Tip by vtnyc

Gramercy Tavern, New York City: 5 reviews and 8 photos

main dining area
by vtnyc

This restaurant has consistently garnered favorable media attention for years. Today was my time to test it's waters.

The first thing you notice when you walk in is the wood burning oven aroma softly wafting through the Colonial Decor. Colorful boquets of flowers lined the lobby and our maitre'd was very pleasent. She smiled alot and walked us to our table as well as walked me to the bathroom later. I noticed there was no music in the background. Also, the crowd is not young, beautiful, and professional, but more probably older and classic. Our server was equally hospitable and provided just the right amount of attention a couple on a date could want.

As soon as we sat down, an assitant delivered some bread and butter. I ordered a fresh squeezed lemonade to start ($4) and my partner ordered root beer ($4).

We ordered two appetizers to begin our journey. A Portobello Tart ($10) , soon arrived. It was a delicious array of goat cheese, arugula, and balsamic vinegar. A very good choice. A Greenmarket Tavern Salad ($8.50)also arrived. Each leaf was properly covered in dressing--not too much, not too little. The appetizers appeared to pave the way for a entree meal not to be forgotten.

When my medium grilled Filet Mignon came ($25), it came delivered on top of Potato Puree (whipped potatos) and balsamic onion relish was added on top as a sour balance to the meat. While the cut of meat was good, and the presentation was good, I was not overly impressed with the quality of the food. For as much hype as this place gets, I found myself saying, "that's it?" My partner ordered the Chicken with Asparagus ($18). Mixed with Fava Beans and Red Wine, the chicken was good, but also left me wanting for more kick.

This restaurant is good if you like NEW AMERICAN cuisine. But if you like food with a kick, spicy food or food with a good tang, go elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Portobello Tart--I don't even like mushrooms, but this dish could make me a convert.

Ratings;

Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://www.gramercytavern.com

• Updated Jun 14, 2006

Comments

vtnyc Lives Here!

vtnyc

“If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive”

Have you been to New York City?