"Try New Foods" Top 5 Page for this destination Dining & Drinking Tip by BeatChick

Dining & Drinking, Paris: 76 reviews and 70 photos

Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire
by BeatChick

Favorite thing: I think one of the greatest pleasures of travel is the NEW: seeing new places, smelling new smells, trying new things, eating new foods! Here are a few of my first-time food experiences. Things I'd read about before I went to France and decided I must try.

Escargot de Bourgogne
I'd never had escargots before, but they?re delicious. I?d recommend to anyone who?s never tried it to have his or her 1st experience of it at this restaurant, Le Vieux Bistro. They?re almost like mussels but with a definite earthy taste following the initial warm, buttery, almost nutty, chewy first taste. sopped up the garlic butter juices with my bread (wonderful bread ? crispy outside, fluffy inside ? not too chewy), and finished it off with swirlings of Sancerre in my mouth. Mmmmm. Sheer perfection!

Roasted Chestnuts
This is something I thought was strictly for the Christmas holiday but luckily I was able to try roasted chestnuts from the lady who was hawking them in front of the BHV. I've also found them in Montmartre on the corner of rue de Steinkerque & boulevard de Rouchechouart near Anvers Metro.

Of course, crêpes are an excuse to try all types of different flavors from Nutella (a gooey chocolate hazelnut spread) to citron sucre (fresh-squeezed lemon, butter and sugar). I've only ever sampled them from the street vendors - and only when they're freshly prepared!

Photo: Feb 2006

• Updated Mar 18, 2006

BeatChick Visits Here Frequently!

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Paris?