"Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris" Top 5 Page for this destination Notre Dame de Paris Tip by BeatChick

Notre Dame de Paris, Paris: 652 reviews and 1,336 photos

by BeatChick
      Candles lit for my family
    by BeatChick

My favorite place in Paris, I visit Notre-Dame & its towers every single trip. The entrance into the cathedrale is free but it costs 5.50 euro to climb the towers. It's best to get there early in order to go up first as the lines get quite long very quickly.

Inside the cathedral it's quite dark but beautiful. Walk around the ambulatory to see the beautiful stained glass and the ribbed arches inside. The rose windows are especially beautiful. One has more red in it and the other has more blue to catch the northern & southern cool and warm light wafting through the windows.

If you like you may light candles for your family as I did mine. I'm not Catholic but my husband grew up in that church so I felt it was something I must do.

Outside is a t-shirts vendor planted in the midst of the Place du Parvis (and covering up the Kilometre Zero brass inlay, I'm pretty sure).

Horrors! Despite all my cautions that this is still a working cathedral, my friend Kristin took flash photos during Easter mass - and she's Catholic. She reasoned that because all the other tourists were doing it that it was okay to do.

Hours: 7:45am - 6:45pm

Saturday evening
6:30 (cantor)
8:30 am
10:00 am (gregorian chant)
11:30 am (choir)
12:45 am (cantor)
6:30 pm (choir)

8:00, 9:00, 12:00 am
6:15 pm (cantor)

Photos: March 2001 & Feb 2006

Address: 6, Place du Parvis, Ile de la Cite, 75004 PARIS
Directions: Ile de la Cite - you can't miss it - it's at the historical center of Paris!
othercontact: +33-1-
Phone: +33-1-
Website: http://www.cathedraledeparis.com/EN/0.asp

• Updated Apr 23, 2006

BeatChick Visits Here Frequently!

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Paris?