"Alhambra Palace at night" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Tourist Trap Tip by suvanki

Granada Tourist Traps: 25 reviews and 25 photos

Me at the Alhambra Palace night viewing
by suvanki

I was on a limited time, and hadn't pre booked my ticket, I decided to visit at night.

Doors open at 21.30, to buy tickets. I queued in a shorter line than the ones I'd witnessed earlier in the day.

I paid 10 euros (same price as day time ticket) I had to be at the Palacio Nazaries between 22.00 - 22.30.

Earlier in the day I'd noticed taped guides for hire. So I left my guide book behind

I found out this service isn't available at night!

I hurried along the spot lit paths, and entered the Nazaries Palace in my allotted time.

My next disappointment was that there was no written info depicting what I was seeing There were no guides around either.
This is a major tourist destination - so why no multi lingual notices ?

Although I quite enjoyed the architecture, I was disappointed (no, annoyed !!) that 2 of the main attractions- the Patio de los Leones, (Lion Courtyard) and the Rectangular Pool weren't illuminated! So you couldn't really appreciate what you were seeing, and photo ops were limited. Surely there is enough money passing over the counter to pay for a few lights!

I did get a bit confused at the end of my visit to the NP, as there are no exit signs, so I spent a good while trying to retrace my steps.

Be Aware that some of the surfaces are slippery, I saw one woman fall quite heavily on the marble flooring near the pool.

Though you have the luxury of less crowds, I don't feel that paying the same price as the daytime tickets is warranted. You can pass through the gardens etc, but you can't see them.

So for me, this was a bit of a rip off. (I've since learned that it is only the Nazaries Palace that You're paying for, but then again I couldn't see the Lion statue or pool clearly)

One reason I was underwhelmed, was probably because I'd been in Marrakech a few months earlier, and had probably OD'd on Islamic architecture

Unique Suggestions: Enjoy the quiet night air, and smaller crowds.

I think this would be a good idea if you've already visited in day time hours, it would give a different perspective. Listening to others who'd visited previously, they seemed to enjoy the night viewing as much, if not more.

It's probably quite romantic for couples!

If you want to know What you're looking at, bring a good guide book with you, or read up well before your visit

Fun Alternatives: Well, there is a lot more to Granada than the Alhambra.

Ok, It's a ' Must See', and it is quite impressive, but if you're only here for a short time, even if you've pre booked, you'll still have to queue - Lifes too short for queueing!!!

You only Queue and Pay for entrance to the Nazares Palace, the rest of the Alhambra is a public park, so You can still visit the other areas without the inconvenience.

• Updated Feb 1, 2008

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Granada?