"DUTY FREE SHOPPING" Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands Tourist Trap Tip by catalysta

U. S. Virgin Islands Tourist Traps: 8 reviews and 3 photos

View of Havensight Cruiseship Dock
by catalysta

To my opinionated way of thinking, most duty-free shopping is a scam, but if it keeps a lot of you cruise ship types off the precious beaches, I'm all for it!
I still recall one visit to the Island Beachcomber beach bar (one of my favorite hangouts, a friendly mellow spot) when a couple of women from New Jersey were there for 4 nights running, bragging each night about the jewelry they'd bought that day, and complaining about the heat in Charlotte Amalie.
They were dripping with sweat & all manner of gems, waggling their fat fingers at the rest of us poor benighted beach bums. Not ONE DAY of their vacation was spent doing much other than shopping.

Unique Suggestions: Heck, they could've stayed home to shop the discount malls of Paramus for that.

Fun Alternatives: Me? Given a choice between a few hours of shopping in CA vs. a few more hours in that clear blue Caribbean Sea, you can guess where I'll be!

• Updated Apr 29, 2005

More Tourist Traps in U. S. Virgin Islands (1)

Comments

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Have you been to U. S. Virgin Islands?