"ONCE VIENNA'S HOTTEST HOTEL..." Le Meridien Wien Tip by themajor

Le Meridien Wien, Vienna: 2,621 reviews and 13 photos

Well, let me be honest from the outset. Although I've stayed at all of the hotels mentioned to date, I have yet to stay at Le Meridien. I've looked at it, been in it, listened to those who've stayed in it and, yes, I think I can offer an opinion worth reading.

When it first opened this hotel was specifically created to appeal to those who worshipped at the altar of the modern and stylish... some found it's efforts to do so a little overpowering but you couldn't deny that it looked splendid and it soon became Vienna's hottest hotel. Restaurant, gym, swimming pool, internet..it's still all here. The hotel is situated a stones throw from the Opera on the Opernring itself - a good central location with the tram and underground system literally outside the front door.

Back then, initial problems with the design of the trendy showers seemed to dog otherwise glowing reviews...apparently they looked wonderful but were inclined to flood into your room unless barricaded with towels...oh, and the glass fronted toilets weren't to everyones taste! Now you hear rather more carping amongst the praise. So much so that the Tripadvisor rating has slipped from that initial heady '1st' all the way down to the '50s'! this, I fear, is the curse of all hotels that set out to be trendsetting. Ten years down the line, you're sadly no longer so trendy.

Even so I think you'd be hard pushed not to have a comfortable stay there but it's not perhaps a choice for those who enjoy their comforts in more traditional surroundings. For those people, hotels like the Imperial, Sacher and Konig von Ungarn will still remain a better bet.

Unique Qualities: Modern and chic...but there are deals to be had!

Address: Opernring 13-15
Website: http://www.lemeridienvienna.com/

• Updated Mar 7, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Hmm . . . Not exactly my price range, I'm afraid.

• themajor's Profile Photo
      Mar 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM

In which case I probably ought to spare telling you the cost of staying at the Imperial!

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Have you been to Vienna?