"FADED GRANDEUR - BUT STILL WORTH A LOOK?" Hotel Astoria - Austria Trend Tip by themajor

Hotel Astoria - Austria Trend, Vienna: 630 reviews and 2 photos

It's been a litle while now since I stayed at the Astoria but I'm pretty sure that my feelings about the place are still relevant. The situation of the hotel is splendidly central, 'though being smack on top of Karntnerstrasse is perhaps a little too much of a good thing when you want your window open in Summer and there are bustling crowds just below.

Two words would sum up the Astoria for me 'faded grandeur'. She is a splendid old dame starting to show her age. The reception area is rather lovely and comes as a nice surprise after the low key entrance to the hotel. My bedroom was large but not especially well appointed, and looking a little, 'er, jaded.

Breakfasts were good and the breakfast room itself is attractively sat out in traditional style. The bar used to serve immense jugs of hot chocolate and cream in the evening - some of the best I'd tasted and a marvellous non-alcoholic pick-me-up after a hard days walking (the fact that I'd already consumed at least three cups during the day is neither here nor there!).

So to sum up - pretty good but arguably not as good as it should be or thinks it is! In need of some tlc...but by the time you read this, it might be getting it?

Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: Good central location...albeit adjacent to one of the busiest streets.
Phone: +43 (1) 515 77
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.austria-trend.at/Hotel-Astoria/en/

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“The Eccentric Englishman Preservation Society”

Have you been to Vienna?