"Ug and Og go clubbing" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Things to Do Tip by NiceLife
Nice Things to Do: 617 reviews and 1,220 photos
Prehistoric remains dating back 160,000 years were found in the Grotte de Lazaret at the foot of Nice's Mont Alban. The Musee de Paleontologie Humaine de Terra Amata, near the Port, displays the detritus of prehistoric life - jaw-bones, chopping tools, footprints, fosillised excrement, and, of course, discarded pizza delivery boxes.
Free entry first and third Sundays (usually 4 euro), this worthy little museum holds a much bigger idea than its immediate contents suggest. No big budget theatrical special effects of dinosaurs with floor-shaking surround sound. Instead, rows of glass cases, filled with neatly labelled arrow heads and skull fragments, and little paper machie models of cavemen weilding spears and clubs. A gigantic understated story - our real history. Fragments of the origins of man. Reach back and touch life hundreds of thousands of years ago.
Our ape-like ancestor homo erectus traces his lineage back two million years - the dawn of life itself. Yo! Relocation Relocation! These were the very first members of the human race to decide on a home in the South of France.
I can relate to that.
More Things to Do in Nice (38)
More Reviews (151)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All Riviera Road Safety and two wheels
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels