"Mate" Taste mate Tip by b1bob

Taste mate, Buenos Aires: 19 reviews and 16 photos

mates & bombillas
by b1bob

Besides everybody kissing each other, the local custom that really set Argentina apart from everywhere else was that every Argentine household I've been in has what looks like a metal pumpkin and a special metal straw (bombilla) for which to drink an herbal tea called yerba mate. The tea itself comes from the leaves of an indigenous plant and mate is actually the pumpkin-shaped vessel. Just about every store down there sells yerba mate gear and you can even get it in Roxboro, North Carolina if you shop online. I regret not having tried the drink. I wanted to, but my good buddy Alex, one of the few Argentines who doesn't like it, recommended that I not try it because it would cause difficulties for those not used to it, the type which would eat into valuable touring time. Alex might not like it, but his mama and all his friends were sipping the stuff like it was going out of style. Against my sense of adventure when it comes to trying new food and drink, I turned it down every time it was offered to me. I took this picture in a Buenos Aires storefront because I had never seen such gear before and that, by itself, was a learning experience for me.

• Updated Jun 2, 2005

Have you been to Buenos Aires?