"Waiting in line at the Uffizi" Uffizi Gallery - Galleria Degli Uffizi Tip by Beausoleil

Waiting line at the Uffizi
by Beausoleil

This isn't the greatest picture of the Uffizi Gallery but it serves as a warning to get reservations before you go.

We discovered we couldn't get a reservation until the day we were leaving Florence so we decided a "little" wait wouldn't be a problem. We stood in line four hours and got to know those around us quite well. When we got inside, we discovered the bathrooms are at the other end of the building. One young man from Australia jumped a rope, talked his way past a couple guards and made a beeline.

I think I would have enjoyed the collection more if we hadn't stood in line for so long. As it was, we couldn't take pictures; we were tired of standing; we were hungry (lunch went by during the wait) and it was terribly crowded. We did see the biggies like Birth of Venus and Primavera and I'm glad we went. I have no desire to return but if we ever do, we will make reservations!

Address: City Center
Directions: Next to Palazzo Vecchio between Lungarno Archibusieri and via della Ninna

Open Tuesday to Sunday 8:15-18:50
Closed Monday

othercontact: direzione.uffizi@tin.it
Phone: +39 0552388651
Website: http://www.uffizi.firenze.it/english/musei/uffizi/default.asp

• Written Apr 16, 2005

“Live long enough to see it all.”

Have you been to Florence?