It ain't breakfast if you don't have some grits...: "HOMINY GRITS, recipe and cooking information" Miccosukee Restaurant Tip by 850prc

Miccosukee Restaurants: 9 reviews and 9 photos

Dixie Lily Quick Grits. cheap & tasty!
by 850prc

Grits are a mainstay of southern cooking, especially for breakfast. Made from coarsely ground hominy, they cook up into a filling and very satisfying little cereal-like dish. Some folks will tell you that they are similar to Cream of Wheat, but I vehemently disagree. I hate COW and love grits.

Cooking grits is very easy, and you should just follow the basic directions on the box. One note....

You want to buy QUICK grits, but never never never INSTANT grits. You can buy regular grits, but they take longer to cook. QUICK grits still have to be cooked, but they only take about 5-6 minutes to prepare. INSTANT grits are an atrocity that you pour into a bowl and add boiling water to prepare. Awful consistency and taste. NEVER buy instrant grits. They're not even good enough for Yankees. ;)

One important note.... SALT your grits. Do not cook them sans salt with the attitude that people can just "add it if they want it". You cannot add enough salt AFTER cooking to made grits taste right. Trust me, this cannot happen. If I were on a salt-free diet, I'd just eat something other than grits. (Truthfully, if I were told to go salt-free, I'd probably try hemlock, but that's just me) SALT them during the cooking process or you will hate them. Trust me.

Add butter liberally if desired. Other great additions are cheese or maybe a bit of cream, added in the final stages of the cooking process. Pepper is also nice. One great idea is to substitute garlic salt for regular salt. My favorite grits are garlic-cheese grits. These are often found at fish fry events in the south. Political fundraisers in the deep south are often held at paper-plate fish frys. Often, it's the only thing worth swallowing at such an occurence. ; )

Anyway, there's nothing like grits for breakfast, with some bacon, sausage or salty country ham. Add some scrambled or fried eggs and country biscuits and honeybear.... that' s eating southern-style.

Favorite Dish: I DO love my breakfast grits. My favorites are garlic-cheese.

I actually have a few recipes for grits casseroles. If anyone wants them, just email me.

Comparison: N/A
Price: N/A
Rating: 0
Theme: Other

• Written Apr 15, 2005

Comments

850prc Used To Live Here!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Have you been to Miccosukee?