Lac Thanh Restaurant: "The original one, I think" Top 5 Page for this destination Hue Restaurant Tip by iwys

Hue Restaurants: 45 reviews and 35 photos

Lac Thanh Restaurant is on the corner, next door to Lac Thien Restaurant. They serve the same food - banh khoai and nem lui, at the same prices and look pretty much the same. According to the Moon Handbook, Lac Thanh was actually the original one and Lac Thien the imitator, but "both claim to be the real appears they may all be related - and there was a split in the family business."

This one, Lac Thanh, the one on the corner, is run by a family of deaf-mutes. It is said that the owners of Lac Thien, next door, also pretended to be deaf-mutes, but when I was there, perhaps because it was Tet, they chatted away like crazy. In fact, when I was eating in Lac Thanh, the eldest daughter from Lac Thien, where I had eaten the day before, walked by and said, "Enjoy your meal".

So, how do they stack up? Well, I found the food at Lac Thanh marginally better, but I much preferred the atmosphere at Lac Thien. My advice? Try them both and see what you think.

A banh khoai costs 5,000 VND at both retaurants. Really, you need two of those to fill you up. Huda beer, brewed in Hue, costs 8,000 VND.

Favorite Dish: Banh khoai, of course.

Address: 6A Dinh Tien Hoang
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: On the corner of Dinh Tien Hoang and Tran Hung Dao Street. Just ask any passer-by, "Banh khoai?" and they will point you in the right direction. That's what I did.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated May 4, 2005

“I came, I saw and I had a good time”

Have you been to Hue?