"Ice grotto visits" Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Things to Do Tip by Saagar
Svalbard Things to Do: 53 reviews and 84 photos
This is a must-do-thing in Longyearbyen. it takes only three-four hours (maybe more, check variations in offers) and at NOK 590 it's good value for money.
A weasel or dog sled takes you to the Longyear Glacier above Longyearbyen (other glaciers, too), and you enter the glacier from the surface into a maze of meltwater tunnels deep down in the glacier. You come up again on another place. It is a wonderful experience, most beutiful and surprising after seeing the windswept desolate glacier surface. Toward the end of the tour the guides provide some hot drinks and biscuits in a wider section of a meltwater tunnel.
The tunnels are carved out during summers over many years, and because of the permafrost they remain a fairly fixed feature on parts of the glaciers and do not move much throughout the year either. This glacier type is called "cold" opposed to the mainland glaciers.
The tours require a bit of squeezing thorugh narrow gaps on hands and knees, so it will be difficult for people with disabilities, elderly and certainly for those who are claustrophobic. The temperature below is a stable - 4C. Bring appropriate clothes, the guides will supply helmet and headlamp.
Directions: Both Longyearbreen Glacier and Foxbreen Glacier are well known for their ice grottos.
More Reviews (112)
- See All Shopping for maps of Svalbard
- See All The Pub I never got into
- See All Packing for a weekend on Svalbard
- See All Weekend offers
- See All Svalbard Airport Longyear - LYR: latest...
- See All Organisations, business, culture on...
- See All Carrying guns while shopping - bad taste
- See All Football on Svalbard
- See All Gun rental for polar bear protection
- See All Compulsory insurance off the beaten path
- See All Tourist map of Spitzbergen and the...
- See All A drink in the snow
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Svalbard?Share Your Travels