"The Valley of the Kings" Egypt Things to Do Tip by Paul2001

Egypt Things to Do: 1,687 reviews and 2,532 photos

Tomb in the Valley of the Kings
by Paul2001

For anyone traveling to Luxor, after the Temple of Karnak, a tour of the Valley of the Kings will be the highlight of their holiday. It is in the Valley of the Kings that 3,500 years ago during the era of the New Kingdom, that the Egyptians buried the remains and belongings of their pharoahs. The tombs were supposedly hidden from the general population so as to prevent grave robbers. Each tomb would hold the remains of the pharoahs and all of his worldly belongings so that he could bring them along to the afterworld. The tombs would be elaborately decorated by highly skilled craftsmen. These very same craftsmen more than probably morphed into grave-robbers as many of the tombs were pillaged in time.
Today there are 64 tombs that are open for viewing by the public. A serious of tickets that are bought at a kiosk at the landing on the West bank will allow you into at least three of the tombs so be highly selective about which ones you want to explore. I found that with a little bakheesh, the guardians at each tomb could be persuaded not to stamp your ticket. Hence I visited five tombs although I cannot remember which at this time. During my visit, photos were not allowed although I did take a shot inside one the tombs that did not have any reliefs that could be damaged.
There are many ways to approach the Valley of Kings. There are minibuses, taxis and loads of tour groups. Some go by donkey as they visit more of the West Bank sights. I visited by bicycle because I suppose I really like bikes. I found this to be very pleasurable and must include the whole experience amongst my favourites of all my travels

Directions: In the Theban Hills