"Favela Tour in Rio de Janeiro" Brazil Things to Do Tip by HansWerner

Brazil Things to Do: 373 reviews and 547 photos

If you go to Rio de Janeiro you should do a favela tour with one of a agencies. Rio is a city of about 6 million people and about 1 or 1 1/2 million people are living in favelas. The name favela comes from a plant and is now a synonym for this cities inside the city of Rio de Janeiro. The people living there are the people which work in the restaurants and hotels at Copacobana for example. This are about 97 % of the inhabitants. The other 3 % are working in the drug business. The middle and upper class goes there to buy their drugs. I recommend to go there only with a guide and not alone or by night.

Directions: Favela Rocinha
Website: http://www.favelatour.com.br/

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Apr 2, 2005
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse

Comments

HansWerner

“What can I do else ?”

Online Now

Male

Top 10,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 9 0 5 0

Have you been to Brazil?

  Share Your Travels