"Taxi is not that expensive!" Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Transportation Tip by matcrazy1

Washington D.C. Transportation: 406 reviews and 476 photos

YELLOW CAB: (202) 544-1212
      YELLOW CAB: (202) 544-1212
    by matcrazy1
  • BLUE TAXI - Washington D.C.
    by matcrazy1

For visitor on a budget the taxi is usually the last option, right? I have to admit that taxi cabs, especially for shorter distances, are not that expensive in DC :-). There are over 80 taxicab companies with different fares. Can you imagine the competition? The companies are from both Washington, DC, Virginia and from Maryland.

1. There is a $1.00 charge for radio-dispatched cabs, so it's cheaper to hail a taxi on a street. Hmm... in Poland it's up to 30% cheaper when you call for a taxi.

2. There are non-smoking and smoking cabs (I didn't know it before).

3. You are required to buckle up while riding in a cab. Hmm... my old cab was equipped with only waist seat belts in the back seat.

4. Watch for additional fares:
- extra $1.00 during rush hours (7 am - 9.30 am and 4 pm - 6.30 pm),

- extra luggage (over 1 piece): $0.5 - $2.00 (depends on size) per piece,

- $ 1.50 for each additional passenger (1 child up to 5 years old is free), it's very strange for me :-(. Does it works the same way in other US cities?

5. Tipping a taxi driver cab is a matter of personal preference as I know. I would tip my taxi driver, but unfortunately he coudn't speak English enough well me to understand him :-).

6. Some taxi drivers can't speak English well, they are understable for natives, I suppose but... I couldn't understand mine well at all.

7. I found out the hard way that taxicabs have the right to pick up other fares while transporting you. Well, when you request your cabbie drive only you, you may be charged extra for the exclusive treatment. Hmm... I saw it in... Morocco last time.

8. I could pay both by cash and by my Visa card.

othercontact: (202) 546-2400 Capitol Cab
Phone: (202) 387-6200 Diamond Cab Comp.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Website: http://www.commuterpage.com/taxi.htm

• Updated Apr 2, 2005

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?