"Riverview Cellars" Niagara-on-the-Lake Off The Beaten Path Tip by TimDaoust

This is one of many wineries that one can find between Niagara Falls and Nigara-on-the-Lake. This just happened to be the one that we turned into and it was a good choice. Like a lot of the wineries, from what I hear, if you want to taste the famous ice wine, you have to pay around $3 but at Riverview, if you decide to buy it you don't have to pay for the tasting. So we bought it, expensive as it was, because it was pretty good stuff. I'm not one that usually goes for sweet desert wines but this wine was different. There was the second pressing which was too sweet for us but the late harvest bottle, which we bought, was pretty good. A bit grassy on the nose with some flavors of bosc pear and dates mingled in there. I recommend it highly. We also tasted their 100% Cabernet Franc bottle which was great. I think this was the first time I had Cabernet Franc when it wasn't blended with Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. The manager who worked here was a nice guy as well, very informative. unfortunately at the time of year we visited (March) they were not doing tours as there was not much to see.

othercontact: 15376 Niagara Parkway
Phone: 905-262-0636

• Written Mar 31, 2005

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. ~Aldous Huxley”

Have you been to Niagara-on-the-Lake?