"Washinton D.C., Our Nation's Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Things to Do Tip by deecat

United States of America Things to Do: 953 reviews and 1,331 photos

US Capitol at Night in Washington D.C.
by deecat

As a senior in high school, I traveled from southern Illinois to Washington D.C. via train as part of a senior class trip. Of course, to say that I was impressed is simply and understatement.
However, 35 years later, I returned with my husband to visit D.C. and was even more impressed.

It's such a beautiful city with such monuments as the white obelisk built to honor George Washinton that is 555-feet tall. But, just as I didn't know until I was told by a tour guide, most people don't know that there's a law that says no other building can be taller than the Washington Monument. Without skyscrapers blocking out the sun, Washington is refreshingly bright and open.
The avenues are quite wide and lined with majestic trees. Evidently, President Jefferson did all that he could to beautify the city by authorizing the planting of Lombardy poplars along Pennsylvania Avenue.

There are about 150 parks in Washington, and Lady Bird Johnson (wife of President Johnson) should be given much of the credit because her top priority was to beautify the city. These parks are filled with flowers.

But, I must admit, it's not nature but man-made monuments and outstanding architecture that fascinates me with this city of magnificent museums. I think that the Mall is one of the most gorgeous places found in any big city in the nation. I also really liked Massachusetts Avenue and Embassy Row.

What I loved most about Washington D.C.:

U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum: powerfu

Lincoln Memorial: inspirational

Washington CathedralHuge Gothic structure with brilliant stained glass.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial:Moving Tribute

The U.S. Capitol Building:stunning

Washington Monument: panoramic views

The Castle: Smithsonian headquarters

Naval Memorialpersonal tribute to my father

John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts:living memorial

National Archives:American Treasures

Don't miss our nation's capital.

• Updated Mar 30, 2005

Have you been to United States of America?