"No one said NY was cheap..." Top 5 Page for this destination Handbag that Zips Tip by shutterlust

Handbag that Zips, New York City: 10 reviews and 4 photos

Packing?
by shutterlust

Luggage and bags: New York is not like Europe in that we're not old enough to have many cobblestoned streets, so feel free to pack your rolling suitcases. However, if you plan on taking the subway, keep in mind there are stairs to deal with.

Women: bring purses that zip. I've never known anyone who's been actually "pickpocketed" but to be on the safe side, don't take a large -open- tote, especially if you think you might look too much like a tourist.

And those huge camping backpacks look silly! Who actually camps in New York! (Edit: Ok, so I'm just realizing that backpacks are fairly common in Europe. Bring them if you must. But just as Europeans don't wear shorts, New Yorkers don't wear fanny/bum packs. Fannypacks are definite tourist gear.)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Whoever said that all New Yorkers wear all black was TOTALLY lying! I hardly ever wear ANY black! It's such a depressing color. Wear whatever YOU PLEASE! Actually, the weirder you dress, the more you might actually fit in! (Note: As ATLC and others have pointed out, I do own black clothes and I do wear them on occasion. Bring black clothing, but don't feel as though you need to wear black to fit in!)

Bring sensible flats...or at least kitten heels or wedged heels. Women: buy foot pads if you do wear heels. Well, buy foot pads no matter what. You could use the cushioning on the hard sidewalks!

Don't wear all white sneakers. It bothers me so much when tourists wear those. I still can't believe people actually wear those white sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, visors, and those "fanny packs". You'll look ridiculous. But don't be afraid to bring sneakers in general.

For more information on What-To-Wear, visit my 2 What-To-Wear Tips listed under General Tips.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you're from a foreign country, obviously bring your own prescriptions because you might not know what the American version is called. Otherwise, you can pretty much find everything else. Try Duane Reade, especially for standard toiletries and medical supplies. They're everywhere.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping??...where would people actually camp?! Central Park? (Actually, that might be interesting...)

Miscellaneous: Bring foot paddings, a fold-up tote bag for any souvenirs, a water bottle to fill up (bottled water can be expensive in certain neighborhoods), a book to read on long museum admissions lines, and try to find a SMALL map of Manhattan. (attempt to be discreet).

• Updated Jan 25, 2007

Comments

shutterlust Used To Live Here!

shutterlust

“I don't say we all ought to misbehave...but we ought to look as if we could!”

Have you been to New York City?