"Probably the one of the best..." Habits and Ways Tip by calczech

Habits and Ways, Saint Petersburg: 25 reviews and 25 photos

Probably the one of the best things a person could do is get invited to a Russian family's home. Seeing the Russian people on the street you would think they are cold, and not friendly at all. Nothing is further from the truth! I was fortunate enough several times to be invited for dinner, and it was an experience I will never forget. I think, on a whole compared to westerners, they are much more family oriented, and have very strong families. Just remember when you enter their home to take your shoes off, you'll be given slippers. Also, making a toast before drinking is a very big custom there as well. I think the Russian people had a reason for a toast for everything. I really was one of the highlights of my trip there.

Well.....I'm not so sure this would be qualified as 'Off the beaten path', and really this is for the guys who might visit this site, but I have to say that in my limited knowledge, that Russian women are some of the most beautiful women in the world. A person can just sit down at a cafe on Nevsky Prospect, and in 10 minutes see more beautiful women than you can possibly dream of! I got the impression that a Russian woman's appearance is very improtant to her. I mean a 5 minute walk to the grocery means the women there will dress to the nines, and just look beautiful! I guess this is why I have a Russian girlfriend....and she is beautiful in everyway! It's a very different type of lady and a great reason to travel to St Petersburg.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Ranked Member

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?