"Of all the places I..." City Environs Tip by calczech

City Environs, Saint Petersburg: 13 reviews and 10 photos

Favorite thing: Of all the places I experienced in St Petersburg I would definitely recommend going to 'Petershof' - The Summer Palace of the Tsars. There are several ways to get there, but in my opinion, catching the Hydrofoil right across from the Hermitage - 250 rubles one way - you can cross the Gulf of Finland in about 30 minutes to reach Peterhof. Another way is by train also, which is much more economical, but definitely more complicated. I think the train ride costs about 12-15 rubles. Either way, just make sure your ready for the ride back to St Petersburg by 4:30 or 5pm, unless you savor the experience in staying overnight in a small Russian town! Of all the absolutely beautfiul sights in St. Petersburg, to me, Petershof was unbelievable. It is the summer home of the Tsars. The gardens, palaces, and fountains are just unbelievable. A person could spend days there walking through the gardens, taking a dip in the Gulf of Finland, seeing all the fountains, and the numerous tours and museums. They even have helicopter rides which are very inexpensive by American standards. I will be posting several pictures I took in the near future.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory? Wow...that is really difficult to do since I have so many. One of the major highlights would be walking through the gardens of Peterhof, a very romantic place, with a Russian lady that is very special to me. Also, St Petersburg is a city consisting of about 45 islands. There are canals, and boat rides available everywhere. Going on a boat ride, seeing much of the city center with the lady you love was probably very close to visiting Peterhof.

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Saint Petersburg?