Food stalls in Huauchinango: "Try it you"ll like it." Cuetzalán del Progreso Restaurant Tip by sacdrummer99

Cuetzalán del Progreso Restaurants: 1 reviews and 1 photos

my cook and waitress
by sacdrummer99

The delicious smells from the open air food vendors were overwhelming. Central Mexico's food is diverse and varried owing its roots to the local indigeneous cultures as well as to French, Arab and Spanish influences. ( In Puebla my favorite foods are Taco's arabes, Chiles en nogada and of course Mole.) To try and explain the flavors and aromas of these incredible fusions of new and old world cooking would not do them justice, suffice to say that I have spent my whole life eating what I thought was "Mexican" food only to find out it's really more Texas food. Although many of the food vendors' stalls looked a bit dicey, as if to say "Moctezuma barfed here", I plunged right in and ordered up a nice batch of tlacoyos con salsa verde y queso cotija. ( OK this one I will try to describe, they are deep-fried little corn tartlets filled with black beans, covered in a tomatillo sauce with white, crumply cheese and are so much better than anything I have ever eaten in the States.) Some of the locals commented on a "gringo" white man eating at the communal tables and we talked as well as we could with each other, I in my broken Spanish, they in even more broken English.(And my Spanish is BAD) It was a great lunch, great company and even better food. Lunch (including beverage) was 23 pesos, about two dollars. At this point I should dispell some of my assumptions that may be shared by other travelers to Mexico, Especially Central and Southern Mexico.

Address: south of town open air food stalls
Price Comparison: least expensive