Teatro di San Carlo: "The German President and a New Umbrella" Naples Nightlife Tip by yooperprof

Naples Nightlife: 23 reviews and 17 photos

Selling jeans at San Carlo
by yooperprof

You really should make an effort to attend an opera or concert at San Carlo while you're in Naples. You won't be disappointed - this is the ultimate classic opera house. You may have seen it in films like "Farinelli" or "The Talented Mr. Ripley." Chances are you'll feel somewhat glamorous just being here!

I had an interesting time at San Carlo when I visited Naples. The opera was not in season, but there was a performance by the Orchestra of San Carlo, under the direction of a visiting German conductor. They played an all-German concert (!): Brahms First Piano Concerto, AND Mahler's Fourth Symphony. WOW! I thought that it was very interesting that the concert didn't start until 9 p.m. - everything is later in Naples, indeed. Another thing that made the concert very interesting is that it was attended by Horst Köhler, the Federal President of Germany. Security was tight, with plenty of guards and police both outside and inside the theater. The Bundespresident drove up in a motorcade, his limosuine marked with small German flags fluttering in the wind. Inside, the audience stood and gave Köhler a standing ovation, and then the orchestra played the German national anthem. It was the first time I've attended a concert in the presence of a head of state - and quite fascinated that it should be in Naples.

It had been raining that night, and after the concert was over - it was nearly 11.30 p.m. when the last strains of the Mahler were played - I went to the coat check to reclaim my umbrella. Much to my concern, they could not find my small blue folding umbrella! The coat girl spoke very little English, and I speak very little Italian, but we were able to communicate sufficiently for us to understand one another. Finally, after five minutes of looking, she gave up - and presented me with another umbrella - from a special box of "unclaimed articles". Oddly, it was a full length umbrella, and much nicer than the one than the one I had brought with me. Italians can be very nice.

Dress Code: Dressy.

Theme: Concert

• Written Mar 23, 2005

More Nightlife in Naples (1)

Comments

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Have you been to Naples?