"Greedy Deer in Nara Park" Nara Things to Do Tip by vic&michael

Nara Things to Do: 153 reviews and 358 photos

Feeding the greedy deer
by vic&michael

My favorite experience in Nara was seeing the deer in the park. They just walk around free, there are no barriers, but they know not to go onto the road! I think they must be sacred temple deer?

The locals have commercialised on the deer. There are stalls in Nara Park with many deer-shaped souvinears. You can also buy deer-food to feed them. It costs US$1.50 for a bunch of wafer-like deer food. Although it looks like wafers, don't try to nibble on them like I saw a tourist do once! haha!

Once I bought the deer food, the deer headed for me fast! They are very tame, and have no fear of humans, but they don't really like to be patted (mind you, I tried! They are too cute to not try to pat!). Well, at first I thought it would be great fun, but once I started to feed them, they were so greedy for wafers that one nipped me on the elbow! Ouch! I was a bit scared after that! The male deer are more aggressive for food than the females. They will butt you with their heads, try to nibble your clothing/bags and even nip you! So, perhaps don't let your little children feed the deer...

Address: Nara Koen (Park)
Directions: From train station Kintetsu, follow the many signs in English to Nara Koen/ Nara Park!
If you're going uphill, you're in the right direction! Takes maybe 5-10mins walk.

• Updated Mar 23, 2005

Comments

vic&michael

“It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.”

Have you been to Nara?