"Shiga Kogen Skiing." Shiga Kogen Skiing Tip by vic&michael

Shiga Kogen Skiing, Nagano: 2 reviews and 1 photos

Shiga Kogen Ski Field
by vic&michael

Shiga Kogen is the largest ski resort in Japan! Well, it actually comprises of 3 mountain peaks with all the different levels and slopes linked up by cable car or ski-lifts. in 1998, many Winter Olympics events were held here. It is huge. You will need a couple of days to ski around this whole area. There are 21 ski slopes and 72 lifts! It is located in the Northeastern part of Nagano. The scenery was beautiful. You are surrounded by mountains, trees, and lots of snow. I am just a beginner at skiing, so I stuck to the beginner's slopes the whole weekend. I accidentally went down some 'medium difficulty' slopes that were linked onto the beginner's (I didn't see the sign to turn left or right to keep on the beginner's slope!) and had a lot of difficulty skiing the medium slopes! In fact, to be precise, I spent most of my time on my bum or twisted into strange positions with my skis tangled up! However, to people who have better co-ordination than I at skiing or snowboarding, these mountains would be fantastic to explore. Mostly, you will find long cruising runs, but there are several steep and challenging long runs, with a course called the Giant's Course (sounds scary!). There are many cafes with hot drinks and hearty meals to stop and refuel at while you are up on the mountain.

My Favorite time of day was when I took my aching muscles and soaked them in the hotel's Japanese style hot bath!

Directions: Shiga Kogen, Yamanouchi-Machi, Nagano Prefecture, JAPAN.
Phone: +81 (269) 342 404

• Updated Mar 24, 2005

Comments

vic&michael

“It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.”

Have you been to Nagano?