"Match Days in the City Centre" Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Favorite Tip by aaaarrgh
Cardiff Favorites: 49 reviews and 52 photos
Favorite thing: Cardiff city centre turns into a car-free zone when there is a large sports event in the Stadium. Buses stop at the edge of the city centre. The streets are just filled with merry people. Shopkeepers and taxi drivers complain no end, but in my view the carnival atmosphere is great fun. Especially the rugby match days - rugby fans are far better natured than football fans.
The downside is that the pubs and bars are even more full than normal.
And when London's new stadium is completed in 2005, there will be less events taking place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.
Fondest memory: This tip was written on the evening of Wales' historic 'Grand Slam' victory of the rugby 2005 '6-nations' tournament. I've never seen Cardiff more crowded! 75,000 people inside the Millennium Stadium watched Wales beat Ireland 32-20. At least another 7,000 watched the match on a large screen outside the City Hall. Every pub, bar and club was filled with Wales and Ireland supporters.
Well done Wales!!
More Reviews (59)
- See All Old Country Pub with Great Food
- See All The city of greedy seagulls!
- See All The Open Boat ~ friendly independent...
- See All Gigs in an old Church
- Cardiff's Parking Voucher System
- See All Norwegian Cardiff
- See All Cardiff International Airport
- See All Good value with added wild life!
- Left Luggage facility at Tourist...
- See All Fireworks, fireworks and more...
- See All Cardiff 's Colourful Indoor Market
- Best Stadium in Britain/Planet Earth?
aaaarrgh's Related Pages
Have you been to Cardiff?Share Your Travels