Malle Jan: "Good Dutch-style restaurant" Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Restaurant Tip by rsilva

Leiden Restaurants: 111 reviews and 124 photos

This is a restaurant that I had heard a lot about, but never got to try out. Last week I finally did.

This is what I consider a typical Dutch restaurant, with wooden "theme" and soft lighting.

The way I see it, you have two choices if you come here:

- Eat a combined 3-course menu
- Eat "ŕ la carte"

The difference is that the menu will cost 15.50Eur plus drinks whereas if you get a "custom meal" you can pay up to 40Eur, as we did (1 bottle of wine included). In any case, I am putting this in the "More expensive than average" category.

We were a group of 4 and decided to have a mixed fish/meat starter (min. 2 people). It was actually very good. This is what we got:
- Escargots, slightly smoked Tuna, beef Carpaccio, 2 kinds of soup, pheasant pâté, fried shrimp, Japanese pork and something else, but I can't remember what.

We then proceeded with the main course and ordered the T-bone steak (it is actually the first time I remember seeing it in a Dutch restaurant). My friend had the Duck breast.
The steak was very good (for 20Eur, I would have hoped so), perfectly cooked and very tender.

The deserts were also good, but I will not be remembering them.

On top of this, the service was really good. We had at least 5 waiters coming to our table during the evening and they were all very polite and efficient.
We ended up staying until closing time and, unlike what happens in other places, we were asked if we wanted anything else before the kitchen closed instead of just getting the bill. I like that.

Favorite Dish: - The mixed starters plate. I specially enjoyed the "Sashimi Malle Jan", which is a slightly smoked Tunafish which is raw in the middle. You can have it as a main course as well. I'm thinking of having it next time

- The T-Bone steak

Address: Nieuwsteeg 11, Leiden
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Number 22 on the map. Click here to see it.
Phone: 071-5123888
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.mallejan.info/

• Updated Mar 25, 2005

Comments

rsilva Lives Here!

rsilva