"My first time to the UAE was..." United Arab Emirates Favorite Tip by jmoore

United Arab Emirates General: 85 reviews and 89 photos

Favorite thing: My first time to the UAE was in August of l999 and I entered via Dubai. I had heard of Dubai from a Travel Daily t.v. program and had done my typical 'pre-tripping'. About a week before my departure the visa-obtaining man phoned to tell me that things were progressing ok, except that he could not obtain a visa for the Dubai. 'Except for', there went my vacation because the four country trip was built around spending time in all 7 of the emirates (and Oman), and without the needed visa for Dubai the trip could not be completed. That was the beginning of how I came to know about the massive amount of paperword needed for exiting the airport and entering the country. Learn the rules!
Information can be obtained my phoning (310)752-4488 and you may request the wonderful booklets to be sent to your home for 'pre-tripping'.

Things are actually a little easier now, thank you very much. So my statement about you absolutely must, is that you MUST allow time to find out the current rules for entry.
And speaking of rules for entry....A huge thank you to the Government of Dubai because they allowed my (hijacked) airplane to land at a nonpublic airport and they accepted women, children, others (the body) to enter the country. Thank you Dubai!..from a survivor of the hijacking.

Fondest memory: As I approach my 6 month reBirthday [gifts and donations to Galapagos Island fund gladly accepted, =)], my fondest memory of United Arab Emirates must be the fact that they allowed my airplane to land, and they off-loaded mothers, children, others (and the body).

During my time there in August, l999, I enjoyed seeing the blend of modern buildings and shopping centers mixed with old boats, mosques, palaces, and monuments. The shopping centers are very modern and include a foodcourt. The Creek divides the main city from Deira City and is crossed using a 'dhow' or abras (watertaxi). People were friendly, though many times I was the only female and worried that I might be offending someone.
I spent a lovely day on a safari way out of town and over the dunes. A meal was included, but the weather was too hot for me to eat. Of course, a bellydancer was the entertainment, and waterpipes were filled with wonderfully smelling 'stuff'; I, personally cleaned the mouthpiece with the germkiller wipe which I always carry, and yes I did inhale (and cough).

Sand-skiing and camel racing are not available in the summer, it's too HOT. There is a golf course, and a range for shooting, plus a waterpark, and many places to eat

I shall attempt to add pictures showing some of the places and events which were just written about.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Comments

jmoore

“`be gr8 & play nice`, travel safe&well; dream&believe”

Ranked Member

Have you been to United Arab Emirates?