"Routemaster Buses - A Sad Farewell" Public Buses Tip by amapola66

Public Buses, London: 183 reviews and 208 photos

London's Routemaster Bus
by amapola66

Having spent most of my life using London transport and taking some of it much for granted, I'm pretty gutted that they are phasing out and selling off that classic London icon, the Routemaster bus.(yes, I know they are not practical etc BUT!)

I became very fond of the 73 in particular, when living in Stoke Newington, just hopping on and off when it suits. The slow ride into town via Church St gave you the chance to window shop along with the ride and the conductors jokey banter (not always, but even the grumpy ones could be amusing) would keep you far from bored (most Londoners will relish in passing on tales of daily spats between conductors and passengers).

When I was little, we used to brave the rather tricky winding steps upstairs and race to the front seat (adults, please note, these seats should be only for small people!) for the greatest views of city life, peoples balconies, etc -

Hopping on and off and negotiating those stairs is a practised art, and some lessons are learnt at a young ages when you have more passion than common sense ; )
Mind you, some never learn, I recently witnessed a rather sozzled friend, but thoroughbread Londoner, hanging onto the pole and being dragged along on his backside to much panic/amusement (the latter when we realised there was no serious injury, naturally).

On returning back from a long stint abroad some years back, I realised just how symbolic they are to London town, along with the post and telephone boxes - They always welcomed me back home.

In another year they will be totally gone and in the words of another internet writer on the subject, '"If I'd known that Ken Livingstone was going to allow this to happen, I'd have voted for Frank ******* Dobson first time around."

A sad farewell indeed.