Mother's: "Living off its' reputation" New Orleans Restaurant Tip by Tourist11801

New Orleans Restaurants: 896 reviews and 877 photos

The locals warned me- they were right- this place seems to be living off its' reputation- I'm from gritty NY but this place was a bit too "real" for me. The "greeting" is from an elderly woman propped in the corner with a cigarette dangling from her lips. "Menus to the right, give the order at the counter"- Sounds easy, right?? Try giving an order to someone who apparently doesn't read and write too well- We repeated our request ( not a difficult one- Two Po-boys, two cokes, and two "famous" bread puddings-- three times, when the food arrived, it had to go back since they got the order wrong. You show yourself to a dirty looking formica table- Food arrives, goes back, and is delivered again. Po-boy is passable- not great, passable- Bread pudding isn't "famous"- I stopped eating after two spoonsful- and bread pudding is a favorite of mine. To top off the experience two females employees behind the counter got into a fight- spilled over to our side of the counter right in front of our table with one drawing a knife. I would suggest you skip this one-- despite the glowing reviews on this site and others I read seems the "glory days" , if there ever was any, are in the past-

Address: 401 Poydras St
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Central business district right next to a vacant lot
Phone: (504) 523-9656
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 1
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“Try it!”

Ranked Member

Have you been to New Orleans?