"FREE CONCERTS: ROYAL HAWAIIAN BAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Honolulu Local Custom Tip by thinking
Honolulu Local Customs: 66 reviews and 121 photos
IOLANI PALACE ON FRIDAYS FROM noon to 1:00PM
THE ROYAL HAWAIIAN BAND
Founded in 1836 by order of King Kamehameha III, the Royal Hawaiian Band is one of the last living links to Hawai`i's monarchy. Steeped in tradition, the Band has survived a variety of political changes throughout the years. It has remained a vital part of Hawai`i's daily life as the islands evolved from a monarchy to a territory and finally to the 50th State of the United States. Today, the Royal Hawaiian Band is an agency of the City and County of Honolulu and is the only full-time municipal band in the United States.
The Band has traveled extensively from its inception, performing in the Mainland United States, Canada, Europe and Japan, taking with it not only the music and culture of the islands, but the very essence of the aloha spirit itself. As a link to Hawai`i's precious past, the Royal Hawaiian Band performs the best of the Islands' traditional musical heritage, while showcasing Hawai`i's present day talent in both song and dance. In July 1988, the Band performed an historic concert in New York City's celebrated Carnegie Hall to a packed house and a standing ovation.
More Reviews (125)
- See All ALOHA STADIUM SWAP MEET
- See All Very Good sushi, and fish meals
- See All HAWAIIAN DICTIONARY
- See All JENNY'S ALTERATIONS
- See All NIIHAU: The Forbidden Island
- See All WHAT IS VOG?:Air Pollution in Hawaii
- See All RV's on the Big Island of Hawaii
- See All INTERESTED IN A CAREER IN COMMERICAL...
- See All The Island's only Hawaiian Owned Hotel...
- See All Jazz lovers vow to bring back the beat...
- HOTELS QUIETLY ADD NEW FEES
- Don't need to bring anything as...
thinking's Related Pages
Have you been to Honolulu?Share Your Travels