"Car Rental for a Day" New Orleans Transportation Tip by Neesie

New Orleans Transportation: 188 reviews and 201 photos

When you stay in the French Quarter you don't necessarily want to have a car; it can be more burdensome to park and store than it is worth.

However, we did want to get out of the city one day to see some plantations off of the River Road.

Before we left on our trip I was on a car rental website (forget if it was Dollar or National) and I used the drop down box to choose a location other than the airport to pick up. I found that there was a car rental agency just a few blocks outside of the French Quarter. I wrote down their address, local phone number and hours (wasn't open 24 hours). Then on the day that we wanted to get out of town we took a cab for a few bucks to the car rental agency and rented a car for approximately $50 for 24 hours. We brought the car back before the agency closed (we had it for less than 24 hours) but we didn't want to park it overnight in the French Quarter.

It was a lot less expensive than paying over $100 per person to take the plantation tours on a tour bus. It gave us the freedom of going wherever we wanted and not being locked into a tour schedule with a bunch of other tourists.

We really enjoyed seeing Lousiana outside of the Big Easy. The country to the northwest was very pretty and neat and so friendly.

So if you want to rent a car for a short amount of time, try the drop-down box for a location other than the airport.

Mode: AROUND
Phone: 866-434-2226
Type: Car/Motor Home
Website: http://www.dollar.com/world_locations/search.aspx#listTable

• Written Mar 3, 2005

Comments

Neesie

“I'll be back”

Ranked Member

Have you been to New Orleans?