"work & residence permits" Cyprus Favorite Tip by MrBill

Cyprus General: 160 reviews and 184 photos

alien registration certificate
by MrBill

Favorite thing: After nine months in Cyprus I did not have a residence permit; I did not have a work permit; I did not have a Cypriot driver's license; and I did not have a Cyprus bank account. They only thing they let me do was pay Cyprus taxes. I was in Cyprus on a tourist visa, which lasts from one to three months depending on where you are from. Each time I re-entered the country the meter started from zero again. I was on a working vacation so to speak.

Fondest memory: Finally the slow wheels of officialdom started turning, and I was able to get my temporary residence permit and my alien registration certificate.

In order to apply, I needed a valid work contract for at least one year; letters of reference; certified copies of my various degrees and diplomas; a recent copy of my police record; and a bank reference. In my case, my application was vetted by the National Bank of Cyprus and the Cyprus Securities Commission to decide whether or not I was suitable to work in Cyprus before my application was forwarded along to the immigration authorities.

I needed to have blood samples taken, which were tested for AIDS/HIV, and x-rays taken to check for cancer, tumors and TB.

I also had to post a bond in case they needed to deport me. Being a Canadian, they wanted CYP 500 because they would have to send me a long way. However, I told them I still had a valid German residence permit so they would only have to send me as far as Germany. They settled for a CYP 300 bond for 18-months.

I swear they just make this stuff up as they go along, but at least now I have my paperwork in order. It must be time to move-on then? ; - )

• Updated Mar 1, 2005

More General in Cyprus (1)

Comments

MrBill Lives Here!

MrBill

“would you think less of me if I didn't have a cheesey motto?”

Have you been to Cyprus?