"Temple Church - a place dear to my heart" London Off The Beaten Path Tip by shutterlust

London Off The Beaten Path: 1,703 reviews and 3,058 photos

Temple Church-London
by shutterlust

Built by the Knights Templar, this is the last surviving round church in London. It is nestled between two Inns of Court (the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple) which is where law students go to live/study before becoming full-fledged barristers.

The very special thing about this church takes place on Sundays 11:15am. The choral mattins, sung by the Temple Church's own all-boy/men choir. 12 men and 18 boys, most AMAZING voices ever.

This is also where I met my friend Sir John and his wife Betty. I love Temple Church and the surrounding Inns of Court and this is my plug to you all: Check out Temple Church. Attend a Sunday Choral Mattins (or a lunchtime concert, held on Wednesdays at 1:15PM) or check out the Temple Gardens during the week around lunchtime. The church is beautiful and their preacher/semon-person/priest (called "master") is one of the best rhetoricians I know. Reverend Robin-Griffith Jones, Reverent and Valiant Master of the Temple, is one of the sweetest, smartest men I know and he's recently released his book on the DaVinci Code, debunking the unfounded 'facts' in the book. (Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but just go to one of the Master's talks and he will win you over. I promise!)

I love the Temple Church dearly, I've been attending the services for over a year and I go back whenever I can. I just ask that people who are coming to visit the church, respect the fact that students are studying for their bar exam there and that the Church takes great pains to allow tourists to come into the Inner/Middle Temple area. Feel free to take your pictures, but not during services. If you come for the services, remember that the Church is primarily a place of God and not a tourist site. Please dress appropriately to services and if you want to come to the church but not the service, please wait quietly outside.

Otherwise, enjoy your visit to the Temple Church! :-) And I hope you end up loving it as much as I do, regardless of the book.

Website: http://www.templechurch.com

• Updated Jun 4, 2006

Comments

shutterlust Used To Live Here!

shutterlust

“I don't say we all ought to misbehave...but we ought to look as if we could!”

Have you been to London?