"How do you find love? Expect it. St. George, UT" United States of America Off The Beaten Path Tip by goingsolo

I met Barb at a hiking spa in St. George, Utah. An older woman with a vivacious personality, kind eyes and an even kinder soul, Barb lives near Aspen, Colorado. We shared many stories about traveling before the conversation turned more serious.

Years back, Barb was divorced after decades of marriage and raising children. Like most women, this threw her for a loop and then some. Several years ago, Barb met a wonderful man who, based upon description, treated her like gold.

I smiled ruefully as Barb told her story. I asked her how she found a man like that. The other women at the table, mostly divorced, just laughed, and the general consensus was that such a stroke of luck was as rare as winning the lottery.

But Barb thought different. She flashed one of her ever-ready smiles, leaned over to me and said, "Don't wonder whether you will find love. Expect it." Barb's smile and her enthusiasm made that comment seem more a given than a possibility.

It's amazing how the sorrow over our own heartaches and dissapointments can blind us to the realities of others. I'd had my share of romantic misfortune, which had left me pretty angry and bitter. But, listening to this story of loss and redemption, I realized that my own little tale of woe paled in comparison. I felt a bit ashamed about all the moping I'd done.

I also left that conversation feeling hopeful for the first time in a long time. The words, so simple and nearly cliche, resonated with me. Barb lived her life expecting good things to come to her and they did. In a sense, she probably created her own fortunes, but created them, at least in part, by expecting them to happen.

I think about Barb's words and her infectious smile when self-pity begins to rear its ugly head. During those moments, I remember a brave woman who brushed aside more years of heartache than I'd had of living, and remind my self of the power of expectation.

• Updated Jun 10, 2007

Comments

goingsolo

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Have you been to United States of America?