"The Last Jews of Cochin" Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Things to Do Tip by cochinjew
Kochi Things to Do: 178 reviews and 421 photos
is the name of a well researched book by Dr Katz now at Florida International University in Miami. But who were the first? They had arrived close to 2000 years ago on this coast, possibly at Cranganore, their leader Joseph Rabban given the title of a Noble by the Cherumal of Cochin. They had built a synagogue in 1411 in nearby Kochangadi long before the arrival of "white" jews around 1500. LIke Hindus, Moslems and Christians of India, Jews also practised a caste system: white, Brown and Black Jews were thus classified. Intermarriage among these groups were rare. about 8 white jews and 35 other jews remain, but for all purposes this community is dead: culturally from the jewish point of view
Address: Synagogue is the reason for tourists coming here
Directions: Jewtown or Mattanchery. take a ferry from Ernakulam on the otherside of Vembanadu lake
More Things to Do in Kochi (23)
More Reviews (108)
- See All Good Place for a nice south Indian meal
- See All NOT A GOOD CHOICE
- See All Air Asia from KL to Cochin
- See All India is the most Pro Israeli country in...
- See All Good South Indian Food
- See All On the Internet the Place looks fabulous
- See All Princess Street the Tourist Ghetto
- Adivasi, the original inhabitants of...
- See All antique stores along the jew town road
Been to Kochi?Share your travels with the world!
cochinjew's Related Pages
Have you been to Kochi?Share Your Travels