Bordj Dar Lamane: "Great Place...For a Price" Marrakesh Hotel Tip by midgetmama

Marrakesh Hotels: 342 reviews and 616 photos

A huge bed for a tiny girl
by midgetmama

This is a beautiful riad, but at 50 euros for a single room, I'm not sure how it compares to others. The workers (all shown on the website) are extremely friendly and helpful. However, their guide, Aziz, while great at showing the city, is very pushy. When I told him I didn't want to use him on my second day he laughed at me and showed up anyway, not leaving me alone. He was great at what he did, but I wanted some time by myself to shop, and he was way too insistent that he stay with me. I was upgraded to a huge suite for free, so that was a pleasant surprise. All the plumbing worked perfectly, there was plenty of hot water, and the room was elaborately decorated. There are no actual doors on the rooms, only curtains, but I never felt unsafe, even being alone. All in all, it was a great place to stay, but if you plan to use Aziz, don't plan on getting rid of him.

Unique Qualities: The rooftop terrace had a beautiful view of the city. Breakfast is included in the price, and it was excellent everyday. I bought the 15 euro dinner one night, and it was delicious as well, even though it was way too much for one person. Pickup and dropoff at the airport or train station is also included, and the pickup went very smoothly. For dropoff both their Toyotas were being used, so Aziz had to put my bag on his motorbike and walk me to the center of the medina where he hailed a cab, and he then followed to the train station where he paid the fare and helped me in. In the end, everything was fine, but it could have been a disaster. The rooms are dark but have tons of lamps. Every few minutes I'd find a new one. The place is hard to find but worth it in my opinion.

Address: Place Ben Salah, Derb El Koudia No 11
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: 00 212 44 37 85 41
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Marrakesh?