Steamers Seafood Company: "On the Pond" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilton Head Island Restaurant Tip by grandmaR

Hilton Head Island Restaurants: 49 reviews and 71 photos

Bob's Oysters on the Half Shell
      Bob's Oysters on the Half Shell
    by grandmaR
      Bar with inset of oysters (Original photo edit)
      My grits
    by grandmaR
      My salad with the dressing on the side
      Bob's steamed shrimp
    by grandmaR

We walked across the street to a place called Steamers for dinner. They said it would be 20 minutes wait for a no smoking section table, and 15 minutes for smoking (it WAS about 6:30 on Saturday night). I asked about the restaurant on the other side, and the guy said that there was only one waiter over there and he was really tied up. I asked if that was a new kinky way to wait tables, and he just kind of looked at me.

I asked if we could just sit at the bar and eat, and he said yes.

Favorite Dish: We ordered root beer (would have felt strange about sitting at the bar and drinking water - almost as bad as a distant cousin of my mom's who when a date took her to "The Block" in Baltimore (think strippers), ordered milk at a bar).

I got a salad and a plate of grits, and Bob got a dozen oysters and some steamed shrimp. It took us about half an hour to get served, and by that time people were stacked up waiting for tables.

Bob again complained about the oysters not being cut out of the shell and he said the shrimp were undercooked and didn't come out of their shells very well. I was happy with what I ordered. Total was $35.75 after they applied the discount for being at Sea Crest.

Before we were allowed 5 photos for a tip, I had edited the picture I took of the bar with an inset of the oysters. Now that we are allowed to have 5, I've given the oysters a photo of their own.

Since then I have read several scathing reviews of Steamers - in one case the person was given soup and no spoon, nor could any spoons be found in the place. They suggested that the person use his chips to scoop up the soup.

Address: 28 Coligny Plaza
Price Comparison: about average
othercontact: (843) 686-4540
Phone: (843) 785-2070
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: Seafood

• Updated Sep 18, 2005

“" adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Hilton Head Island?