"A glimpse into WWII history" Anne Frank House Tip by kymbanm

Anne Frank House, Amsterdam: 243 reviews and 259 photos

Keisersghracht Canal, near Anne Frank House
by kymbanm

I was only in AMS for 2 days, and had a short list of 'must do's' ... the Anne Frank House was on this list. Everything I had read about timing for entrance to avoid lines was correct - get there early! We left our hotel near Damrak to begin our walk about 0800, when we arrived about 15 or so minutes later .. there was already a line! Fortunately, since we were there before opening, the line moved quickly.

Not only do you get to tour the living areas described in the diary I read as a child, the end of the tour is a series of museums, they included interviews w/ other camp survivors, those who knew the Frank family, as well as newsreels of events of the time; the diary is displayed under glass in this area too.

I found this activity touching and coudln't imagine missing it!

The end of the tour is a giftshop (of course), with the Anne Frank Diary for sale in numerous languages. Most of my family is studying various languages, so instead of buying them books, I had just picked up tour pamphlets in the requisite languages upon my entry into the tour ... less expensive, and less heavy to carry home :)

We started walking w/ a general idea of the area we were heading towards .. but had forgotten our maps and such .. once you are in the region, there are signs to help point the way. The canal shot shows the side of the building we ended up going to for the start of the tour ... the modern looking one down that side street :)

Address: Prinsengracht 267
Directions: Canal Belt, Near the Westerkerk church
Phone: +31-20-5567100
Website: http://www.annefrank.nl

• Updated Feb 21, 2005

Comments

kymbanm

“Each step brings one closer to a new beginning ....”

Have you been to Amsterdam?