"The old gasworks" Old Gasworks Building Tip by sabsi

Old Gasworks Building, Dublin: 2 reviews and 6 photos

Empty Gasworks in 2001
    by sabsi

The old gasworks has always been of my favourite landmarks in Dublin. When I returned to Dublin after quite a while in January 2007 I sat on the DART looking out for it I couldn't see it anymore from the Grand Canal Dock station and I feared it might have been destroyed in order to build a modern apartment complex. We returned the next day, approaching from the other side and there it was... more beautiful than ever. A fancy glass front building was erected inside of the circular frame of the gasworks. What a great idea. It looks fantastic and I would give everything in order to be able to afford a flat in there!! I guess I need to win the lottery though because one bedroom apartments cost ?310,000; two bedroom apartments ?400,000 and three bedroom apartments cost even ?560,000. Any donations???

It's beautiful, isn't it? Or then again it's just me loving industrial sights...??

Make sure to look at all pictures to find out what the gasworks looked like before the new developments started!

Address: Barrow Street, Dublin 4
Directions: Not far from the DART station called 'Grand Canal Docks'. Take the exit from the station and walk into the lane between the new apartment blocks. It's only a short walk from there.

• Updated Jan 4, 2007

Comments

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Have you been to Dublin?