New King: "Louis / NoeHill Recommendation of the Month (?)" New King Tip by davequ

New King, Amsterdam: 7 reviews and 6 photos

Lekker! Babi Pangang © Copyright Tine Verheyden
by davequ

Just for fun I will occasionally share an Amsterdam restaurant recommendation from the venerable Louis Bryan / oops - I mean "Matte Gray" @ Matte Gray (formerly "Noe Hill")

For the uninitiated, Louis, I mean Matte :D
is a Bay Area writer of world-class essays and journals about his exploits in Amsterdam, along with many other topics.

Louis is also one of the few Americans with the energy, brains and chutzpah to get off his ass and actually learn to speak Dutch (we are not worthy...)

One of my favorite Louis / Matte essays is Dutch in Three Weeks

Provided you are not a mouth-breathing american drug tourist, and if you like good writing, kick back some evening with a bottle of jong jenever (and maybe even a puff or two) and savor some of Uncle Matte's writing ... it will grow on you....

On to the food.....

Favorite Dish: Louis recommends babi pangang, (sometimes "bami ") what I thought was an Indonesian pork dish, but New King is touted as "one of the best Chinese restaurants in Amsterdam, " so go figure..?

Either way, both at New King's website menu and in Ms Verheydens lovely foto it looks delicious!!

I have been fortunate enough to share a meal or two with Louis, and though I have yet to eat at the New King, you can bet that will be my first stop next time I'm in Amsterdam and babi pangang will be my entree of choice. Give it a shot, and let us know what you think.

Geniet van uw maaltijd, alstublieft!

Here is a review of the restaurant:
New King review