Sayat Nova: "Authentic Armenian Cuisine" Top 5 Page for this destination Sayat Nova Tip by deecat

Sayat Nova, Chicago: 5 reviews and 3 photos

Erik, Dee, Kristi, Jill at Sayat Nova
by deecat

Note:Katja took the photo of the four other VT members

This is the first time that I have gone to a VT dinner that I am not able to "rave" about the food. On a cold Wednesday night in January, we met at the Sayat Nova, an Armenian restaurant in the heart of the Magnificent mile.
I brought my daughter Jill (Jillzi) to her first VT dinner/meeting, and wouldn't you know it, the food was not incredible as most critiques had said it would be. Erik (Erik707), Kristi (Dabs), Katja (Pedersdottir), my Jill (Jillzi), and Dee (deecat) came out on this winter night for some food and conversation.

It's an interesting place located just steps from Michigan Avenue in a small building behind the GAP at Ohio. It's been here since the 1970s! The decor is unusual with a row of semicircular alcoves along one wall. They are not large booths but will probably seat four, but two would be more comfortable.
We sat at a table. There's a dark wood bar and lounge-like area toward the front of the restaurant.
We were not impressed with the service. The young man who waited on us was somewhat curt in his replies and attitude.
My food was probably the best, but Kristi's was not good, and Erik's dish did not look too appetizing to me. Jill's food was average, and Katja did not comment about hers.

Favorite Dish: The Sayat Nova specializes in East Armenian cuisine or a slightly earthier variation on Mediterranean.
I enjoyed myTaboule, a light salad of diced tomatoes, green onions, cracked wheat and parsley with fresh lemon and olive oil. I practically "licked my plate"! My main dish was really an appetizer of Plaki, which is great northern beans and sauteed onions that are slowly simmered in a light tomato and olive oil sauce. It was good but not fantastic.
We ordered desserts that were rather mundane, and I have little or no recollection of what they were, but I remember that none of us were impressed.
I just hope that this was an off night for this restaurant because all the reviews that I had read were quite positive.

Address: 157 East Ohio, Chicago, IL 60611
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: (312)644-9159
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Feb 15, 2005

deecat Lives Here!

Have you been to Chicago?