Russian Tea Time: "Elegant Yet Comfortable Tea Room...." Top 5 Page for this destination Russian Tea Time Tip by deecat

Russian Tea Time, Chicago: 7 reviews and 11 photos

Chet's guest, Jim, at the Russian Tea Time
by deecat

I have walked by this eleven year old Chicago landmark several times and had no idea how lovely it was. Fortunately, on a beautiful day in February, 2005, I attended a VTlunch/meeting at this elegant, intimate Russian Tea Time.
The chef-owner, Klara Muchnich, is originally from Uzbekistan.
The decor is lovely, somewhat understated, with brass samovans (ancient tea urns), brass light fixtures and chandeliers that are dimmly lit and accompanied by low Balalaika music.
We ate in the front room in a wonderful curved leather booth, which was plenty of room for the four of us: Kristi (Dabs), Chet (Yooperprof), Jim (Chet's friend), and Dee (deecat). There were birch-wood tables in the center of the room as the booths were along the walls.
I arrived early, after a wonderful visit to the Art Institute, less than one block from the restaurant. The young woman cordially invited me to sit down at our booth to wait on my friends.
Once we were all accounted for, our efficient, friendly waitress took good car of all our needs. Bus boys made sure our water glasses were always full, and our dirty plates were removed. This is a very efficient, non-intrusive set-up.

Favorite Dish: If I thought the service & decor were grea; I should not have been surprised to find the food so delicious.
Chet & I really enjoyed the dark bread that was served almost immediately.
The menu includes Homemade soups, Beginnings (appetizers), Platters, Main Courses, and Desserts. Chet & Jim both ordered theChicken Breat Roulette which was flatened chicken breast stuffed with spinach & ground chicken & served with mushroom sauce, sauteed baby spinach & rice pilaf. They both seemed to enjoy it.
Kristi & both ordered the ever-popular Classic Beef Stroganoff. It's made of sirloin beef pieces sauteed & simmered in sour cream, Madeira wine, mushrooms, onions, & fresh dill that is served over noodles. We neither one could finish such a huge plate of food. However, we both commented on how good it was. I really liked it because it was so mellow. Even though we could not finish our main meal, we found room for desserts!
All four of us chose a different dessert; thus, we were all able to taste four.
Jim probably ordered the most delicious of the group: the Black Russky which was really decadent dark chocolate mousse on chocolate sponge glazed with ganache. Incredible, indeed.
Chet tried the delicious Apple Crepes which was comprised of thin, tender crepes topped with warm caramel apples & drizzled with a vanilla cream sauce. It was a huge order.
Kristi's choice was the Bread Pudding, but it looked & tasted more like a cake than a pudding. It was bourbon-spiked warm bread pudding on a pool of cinnamon cream sauce. It was my least favorite, although good.
I ordered a double-dip dish of Gelato..one of rich chocolate with bits of French chocolate; the other was a velvety Pistachio with Pistachio nuts...all quite rich but, thankfully, not too filling.
It was the perfect atmosphere for talking & really hearing each other. It was so great to meet Jim. Chet was giving him the super tour of Chicago. I sure hope he returns to our wonderful city.

Address: 77 East Adams Street, Chicago, IL 60603
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: near the Art Institute
Phone: (312)360-0000
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.russianteatime.com/

• Written Feb 15, 2005

Comments

deecat Lives Here!

deecat

Have you been to Chicago?