ER & NE & MET: "Carpets" Istanbul Shopping Tip by hekate

Istanbul Shopping: 315 reviews and 564 photos

ER & NE & MET
by hekate

I should say that I had visited the ER & NE & MET carpet shop dring my previous visit to Istanbul back in April 2002.

So, the info I am giving could be a bit outdated. However, the fact that they still have their web-site gives me hopes that what I have to say about this place might still be valid :)

Probably you are wondering how did I get there on first place. Well, me and a friend of mine - American boy were walking around Sultanahmet area and we wanted to see the Blue Mosque.

When we were about to enter the yard a young boy approached us and offered us something like a guided tur for free. The only thing we had to do is to go to his shop afterwards, no obligation to buy - just to look around :)))

We went to the shop with the intention only to look around but after drinking a couple of glasses of apple tea and stearing at endless number of carpets and rugs my friend finally bought one.

I should say the service was really good and they were treating us extreemly nice even though we made it clear we can not afford to spend too much. The guy who showed us around the Blue Mosque even took us out for dinner :)

What to buy: ER & NE & MET are specialised in seling rugs, carpets and kilims, both old and new.

There is an impressive variety of carpets from different regions but I think mostly from Anatolia. As far as remeber it was a family run business and their origin was from Anatolia although I am not quite sure because it was a long time ago.

I do not have a picture from the shop, so I borrowed one from their site. It really looked like that :)

What to pay: Well, I think the price is highly negotiable and it depend on the quality and the size.

The god new is that they offer free delivery with international courriers all over the world in a week or 10 days.

What actually convinced my friend to buy the rug was the fact that he could pay with is credit card. The accept all well-known credit cards.

Address: Sultanahmet / 1, Kucuk Ayasofya Cad.
Directions: Close to the Blue Mosque
Phone: +90 (212) 516 80 82
Theme: Art

• Updated Feb 15, 2005

“Enjoy life while you still can do so :)”

Have you been to Istanbul?