VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Save plenty of $$$ on food." Pulau Bintan Favorite Tip by Tenzin

Pulau Bintan General: 38 reviews and 43 photos

Cempaka's is slightly smaller than this.
by Tenzin

Favorite thing: Save your $$$ for Phuket or Bali when it comes to eating out. Bintan's restaurants are too costly in all the resorts for what its worth. If you can form up to 8 members, find a Singaporean guy whose a Safra member to help book a villa for you. Problem is he may need to check in for you first. But if the villa costs just S$85/day it works out to just S$10 per person and that's dirt cheap.

Be prepared to lug along an icebox over the sea if you wish to cook decent meals. It's a lot cheaper to stock up first than to buy from the hotel later.

Fondest memory: If you are lucky as I was during my stay at the Banyan Biru villa at another nearby resort called Nirwana Garden, you could witness rows of crabs crawling into the sea as I did when I was having my early morning walk along the beach. Fascinating sight.

In another occasion at the said resort I saw a 2 m long monitor lizard lazily swimming across the lake right outside my window.

• Updated Feb 18, 2005

Comments

Tenzin

“Far greater it is to conquer oneself than 1000armies in 1000wars”

Have you been to Pulau Bintan?